West Portal Lutheran School is a ministry of West Portal Lutheran Church. On July 11, 1943, Pastor Haake conducted the first service at the Empire Theatre on West Portal Avenue. In 1948, the dedication of West Portal Lutheran Church and parsonage took place at 200 Sloat Blvd. where the church and Sloat campus remain to this day.
West Portal Lutheran School began shortly thereafter in 1951 with 59 children and 4 classrooms. Following significant enrollment growth, Haake Hall was dedicated in 1957 with a total school enrollment of 300 students.
In 1974, the school expanded further with the purchase of a church building and education wing at 37th Avenue and Moraga Street. And, in June 1982, an additional classroom building, Janssen Hall, was built at the Sloat campus. After tearing down the old Moraga Street school building, West Portal completed the current Sunset Campus at 3101 Moraga Street to house Kindergarten through 3rd Grade. Currently, West Portal Lutheran School has over 300 students and 24 teachers.
West Portal seeks close cooperation of home, school, and church with the goal of guiding young people to fulfill their purpose in life as educated, dedicated, Christian citizens. It is our goal as educators to instill in our students critical thinking skills, a healthy lifestyle, respect for themselves and others, the ability to share their faith in Jesus Christ, and an understanding of technology.
West Portal Lutheran School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and the National Lutheran School Accreditation Commission.