For Academic Year 2017 - 2018, the kindergarten application procedure is as follows:
- Applications are now being served on an individual basis. Please turn them into our Sunset Campus- 3101 Moraga St (at 37th Ave.).
- Please include a non-refundable, non-transferable check for $150.00 made out to West Portal Lutheran School.
- A copy of your child's birth certificate must also be attached to your application.
- In addition, a referral form from your child's current preschool teacher is needed in order to complete your child's application.
Kindergarten applications are currently being accpeted.
Please call 415-731-3000 for availability.
Please Note: Student must be five years old by September 1, 2017.
Acceptance is based on the following:
- Established membership in West Portal Lutheran Church.
- Brothers or sisters in West Portal Lutheran School.
- Application information.
- Pre-school evaluation.
Due within two weeks of acceptance is a $1000.00 non-refundable, non-transferable tuition deposit which is applied to the first month's tuition and which guarantees your child's space for the ensuing year.
Kindergarten Readiness Checklist
- Involve child in cutting and pasting activities.
- Encourage child to color and stay within the lines.
- Assist child in developing gross motor coordination: hopping, skipping, running, galloping, throwing, and catching.
- Familiarize child with different parts of his/her body.
- Assist him/her in recognizing left and right.
- Encourage him/her to write and recognize his/her first and last names.
- Develop an awareness of colors and shapes of familiar objects.
- Recognize and name the following colors: red, blue, yellow, green, orange, purple, black, brown, gray, pink, and white.
- Read together; develop the love of reading through books. Have child recall facts of a simple story.
- Talk to your child often and encourage him/her to speak clearly using sentences.
- Give child simple oral directions.
- Encourage child to follow directions closely.
- Encourage child to create stories.
- Introduce child to the letters of the alphabet.
- Encourage him/her to recognize all upper and lower case letters.
- Teach child to recognize and name the numerals 1-10.
- Teach child basic self-care skills: washing hands; brushing teeth; buttoning and zipping shirts, jackets, and pants; and tieing shoes.
- Teach child to clean up after self.
- Encourage child to play cooperatively.
- Encourage child to start his/her own play activity.